It is important to check if it is legal e-bike to avoid a costly mistake and unwanted trouble. You can use the following general checklist to find out if it is a legal e-bike.
- E-bike must compliant with the European Standard for Power Assisted Pedal Cycles (EU standard EN15194:2009 or EN 15194:2009 A1:2011).
- E-bike must have a maximum motor power output of 200 watts or 250 watts.
- Check that motor power must cut out (stop operating) automatically when the speed reaches 25km/h.
- The main source of power on a legal motorised bicycle must be the pedals assisted by a motor.
- Check with the seller if he has secured import license from Australia Federal Government before importing.
If an e-bike is not legally compliant it must not be ridden on roads and paths. They may only be ridden on private property that isn’t accessible to the general public.